Mk4 Challenge Model - What You Get $14,990
The Challenge car is a fairly heavily modified roadster kit, designed for wheel-to-wheel professional and amateur racing. The big differences between the competition focused Challenge kit and the roadster kit are listed below, but many of the parts are identical.
The Challenge kit is sold in only one form, namely the base kit. This base kit, however, contains many more parts than the base roadster kit. You can still use some Mustang parts, but not as many as the roadster kit.
Here’s what you get.
The Mk4 roadster frame has been seriously modified to accommodate the addition of the full competition cage. The cage design meets SCCA Open GT requirements for a racecar. The doors are sealed since the cage replaces door hinge mechanisms. Frame is completely jig-welded original style 4” round tube frame. Includes all mounts ready to accept small block Ford engine and Ford running gear.
- • Comes in bare steel frame with optional gloss black powdercoating</>
- • Integral roll cage, legal for multiple sanctioning bodies
- • Welded in door bars
- • Frame comes set-up for the three-link suspension
Hand laid 3/16” laminate composite body and panels made with vinylester resin.
- • Driver and Passenger doors outer skins with no liners
- • Hood with molded hood liner
- • Trunk with molded trunk liner
- • Includes secondary body fasteners assembly.
- • Rubber hood and trunk bumpers
- • Includes competition hood pin set with mount plates and fasteners.
- • Includes original design quick-jack competition bumpers w/stainless steel sleeves and fasteners.
Chassis Aluminum Panels:
Includes over 40 CNC cut, pre-formed 6061 series aluminum panels for cockpit, trunk, and engine bay.
- • 1200 pre-packaged rivets1/8” short & long, 3/16” short & long
- • Complete cockpit aluminum with optional block-off plates and patch covers
- • Engine bay aluminum assembly with aluminum nose sections and splash guards
Includes high quality Bilstein brand mono-tube, rod-end, coil-over shocks, tubular upper and lower a-arms with ball joints, adapter brackets and all grade-8 mounting hardware. Front suspension comes ready to use Mustang 13″ front brakes.
- • KONI high performance mono-tube, rod-end shock absorbers
- • Fully adjustable upper control arms with ball joints and fasteners
- • FFR tubular lower control arms
- • Forged 2 piece spindles with replaceable steering arms
- • Bolt-on front adjustable sway bar
Challenge kits are delivered with the FFR 3-link deluxe rear coil-over suspension package standard. This rear suspension includes all the parts you need to mount your Mustang 8.8” rear solid axle and brakes. Comes with all fasteners and hardware required to install.
- • KONI coil-over shocks and coil-over kit w/fasteners
- • Solid-axle lower control arms and upper trailing arm w/bushings
- • 3-link rear frame and panhard bar kit w/brackets and fasteners
Challenge kit comes with pre-flared brake and fuel lines, (3/16”, 1/4″ and 5/16”) and fasteners to use. Includes polished vintage Aston LeMans flip top gas cap, integral modern fuel pressure cap and adaptor kit. Fuel lines, connectors, filler neck and fasteners
- • Brake line mount brackets, fasteners and pre-flared brake lines
- • Pre-flared fuel lines (1/4” and 5/16”) w/unions, barbs, hose clamps and high press flex lines and fasteners
- • Aston LeMans original polished aluminum fuel cap with integral pressure cap, gaskets, ground strap, fuel hose to tank w/fasteners.
Steering adapter kit to utilize Mustang steering rack includes upper shaft, pillow blocks, flange bearings, fasteners, lower shaft and u-joints. Features a collapsible column, Vintage leather and aluminum steering wheel w/aluminum boss, center section and center section badge.
- • Lower steering shaft w/’87-93 rack adapter (3/4”-36 spline)
- • Upper steering shaft, spring washer and fasteners
- • 14” leather and aluminum steering wheel w/boss and ceramic F5R center section and fasteners
- • Steering bearings and hardware, including flange bearing, pillow block bearing and fasteners
- • Standard competition bump-steer kit
Electric cooling fan and mounting hardware, killer stainless steel cooling hose kits with adapters, and all necessary fasteners.
- • Electric cooling fan and mounting kit w/connectors
- • Radiator mount kit and fasteners
- • Stainless Steel radiator hose kit incl. adapter kit, fasteners and hose
- • 185 degree thermostat switch and wiring
Misc. Engine Accessories/Side Exhaust/Mounts:
- • 4-into-1 Side Exhaust, bare steel w/rubber hanger brackets, gaskets and fasteners
- • Pair of mustang header-to-side pipe adapter tubes (straight pipes exhaust w/O2 sensor bungs).
- • Oil filter relocate mount with fittings, hoses, barbs and fasteners
- • Spin-on engine block adapter
- • Alternate drive pulley, spacer, pulley wheel and fasteners
- • SB Performance air filter, conical
- • A-frame transmission mount frame and hardware
- • A/C replacement pulley kit and custom length fan belt* with fasteners.
- • Accelerator Cable Assembly: includes the cable, return spring and retainer.
Electrical and Gauges/Dash Assembly:
Challenge kit parts are included to adapt Mustang wiring harness and EEC IV computer. Kit comes with components to build your car with an authentic original street style dash. Complete assembly comes with covered aluminum dash, dash buttons, toggles and indicator lights, switches, and horn.
- • Battery Box and Relocation Kit: Trunk mounted battery box, cables and hold-downs with fasteners.
- • Battery ground strap
- • Insulated line clip hardware and fasteners
- • Cable ties, wire loom and flex grommeting
- • Mk4 pre-cut original style aluminum dashboard w/fasteners
- • Padded dash cover, black vinyl w/dash buttons and toggles
- • Wiring harness mounting hardware kit
- • Dash indicators, Red, Green, Blue dash lights
- • Complete modern gauge set (listed in interior parts)
- • Battery cut-off switch, exterior
The kit comes with a full set of modern/performance gauges, pre-cut dash, toggles, horn button, indicator lights, and rear view mirror. Authentic original seats are replaced by a single aluminum competition seat.
- • Aluminum Kirkey brand competition drivers seat with cover
- • 5-point Simpson Brand 3” wide competition H-harness set w/fasteners for driver.
- • Interior rear view mirror w/fasteners
- • Complete 7 gauge, Autometer brand Ultra-light gauge set includes, speedo, tach, oil temp, oil press, water temp, fuel level, and voltmeter.
- • Authentic chrome shifter handle, shift knob, boot, polished ring and fasteners
- • Original style rear view cockpit mounted and side view/flank mounted mirrors.
- • 14” leather and aluminum steering wheel with polished aluminum boss (listed in steering assembly), and F5R ceramic center badge.
- • Covered aluminum dash with all dash buttons, toggles and indicator lights.
Exterior Accessories and Lighting:
Period correct exterior trim and items complement the vintage racing looks and purpose of this car. Parts include…
- • Vintage trunk hinges and fasteners
- • Polished bullet style side view mirror and fasteners
- • Authentic 3.5” Aston roller gas cap, polished cast aluminum with adaptor kit and all fasteners (listed previously in fuel system).
- • Competition hood pins.
- • High quality laser-cut aluminum side louvers.
- • Ceramic F5R badging nose and tail
- • Original style headlamp assemblies, including buckets, halogen headlamps, trim rings, and fasteners (DOT approved).
- • Original style British front turn signals, amber and red twin filament rear tail-lights (DOT on all lighting).
- • Original style Quick Jack bumpers
- • Front competition air dam and fasteners
- • FFR Challenge series decals small and large
- • Carbon fiber exterior roll cage slot covers w/rivets
- • Authentic competition windscreen and fasteners with cover plates for optional street windscreen.
- • Authentic original three-lock set including T-trunk handle, L-shaped hood handles, matching keys, cam wedges, fasteners, latch pin sleeves and plastic end cap.
Pedal Box Components:
Utilizing the Mustang pedal box, we supply you with pedal box adapter kit, fasteners and accelerator cable, pedal capture, return spring and ball stud retainer, w/fasteners.
FFR Challenge Series Car Build Manual:
Bound assembly manual that is over 200 pages long.
Over 1500 top quality zinc plated, chrome and stainless steel USS and SAE fasteners, numbered and packed individually by assembly.